Topic: Vote: Top Events of 2003
From: Houston, TX
Registered: Nov 1999
posted 12-22-2003 04:53 PM
On December 31st, collectSPACE will publish its countdown of the top 10 events of 2003 to impact space collecting and space history.
Below you will find a list of the events that occurred over the past year. Please choose 10 (or suggest your own), rank them (with #1 being the most important) and submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than midnight (Eastern) on Friday, December 26.
Do not post your votes here. You are welcome to suggest additions to the list as replies to this message, but for your vote to count, it must be received via e-mail. Votes that qualify will be tallied and the resulting list will debut on this site on New Year's Eve day.
The events of 2003:
- Patricia B. Carey, founder of the Kansas Cosmosphere, dies at 81
- Thomas Stafford continues touring for "We Have Capture"
- Franz Strambach threatens to crash his plane in tribute to Judith Resnik
- Scott Carpenter tours the country to sign copies of "For Spacious Skies"
- Novaspace Galleries reintroduces its online auction site, Astro-Auction
- James Hansen selected to write Neil Armstrong's authorized biography
- Space Shuttle Columbia and the STS-107 crew lost during reentry
- eBay's space categories overtaken by listings for STS-107 souvenirs
- Six individuals plead guilty to the theft of debris from Columbia
- Pioneer 10 sends its last signal as it coasts into interstellar space
- Sanford & Son Antiques and Auctions sells Foton 6 for $31,000
- Florida selects a design for its state quarter featuring the Space Shuttle
- Clint Eastwood acquires the film rights to Neil Armstrong's biography
- The US returns Honduras' piece of the goodwill moon rock
- Danbury Mint debuts their "Milestones in Space Exploration" models
- Swann Galleries hosts its first annual space memorabilia auction
- Rosaviakosmos offers mail delivery to the ISS for $20,000 per stamp
- FOX begins distribution of Spacecraft Films' DVDs
- Sims & Hankow Enterprises hosts the UACC with 15 space guests in DC
- The Astronaut Scholarship Foundation hosts its first charity auction
- Oleg Makarov, four time Soyuz cosmonaut, dies at age 70
- Rosaviakosmos expands its cosmonaut corps, adding nine candidates
- Marvin The Martian and Daffy Duck appear on patches for MER-A & B
- Spirit and Opportunity launch for Mars
- Sy Liebergot publishes "Apollo EECOM: Journey of a Lifetime"
- Astronaut Hall of Fame inducts Musgrave, Ride, Brandenstein, and Gibson
- Walt Cunningham re-releases his biography, "The All-American Boys"
- Warner Brothers releases the a two-disc DVD set of "The Right Stuff"
- The Space Walk of Fame Museum moves to Searstown Mall
- Richard Cooper displays his cover collection at NASA HQ
- Takara and Kaiyodo introduce StarTales mini space models in Japan
- Yuri Malenchenko weds Ekaterina Dmitriev from the Space Station
- "Failure Is Not An Option" airs on the the History Channel
- Disney debuts "Mission: SPACE" at Walt Disney World's Epcot in Florida
- "SPACE: A Journey To Our Future" traveling exhibit debuts in Seattle
- SETP conference brings together Mercury-Shuttle astronauts
- The Kansas Cosmosphere begins restoration of Gemini 6 and Gemini 10
- NASA marks 45 years since it was founded in 1958.
- Canada Post issues eight stamps honoring Canadian astronauts
- NASA announces Dr. Steven J. Dick as their new Chief Historian
- Stephen Morely files a lawsuit claiming Aldrin's watch worn on the Moon
- Four students are convicted of stealing Moon and Mars rocks from JSC
- China launches its first taikonaut, Yang Liwei onboard Shenzhou-5
- After 30 years, Missile, Space, and Rockets Used Books closes
- Astronaut Scholarship Foundation debuts the Astronaut Autograph Club
- Voyager 1 reaches 90 times the distance of the Earth from the Sun
- The Kansas Cosmosphere discovers missing artifacts that were sold
- The International Space Station receives its official branded insignia
- The National Air and Space Museum opens the Udvar-Hazy Center
- The nation celebrates 100 years of powered flight by the Wright Brothers
- Beagle 2 lands on Mars (forecasted)
From: Huntsville, AL, USA
Registered: Jun 2003
posted 12-23-2003 10:59 AM
I would suggest the following additions:
- Michael Foale becomes the first NASA astronaut to begin a second long-duration mission.
- Scaled Composites successfully makes a supersonic flight with a new hybrid engine with SpaceShipOne.
- Space Adventures sells tourist seats on two upcoming Soyuz missions.
- The last of the Great Observatories, the Spitzer Space Telescope, is launched.
- NASA announces the beginning of the Educator Astronaut program.
- Plans are announced for the creation of NASA's first new manned launch vehicle in over 20 years, the Orbital Space Plane.
Contact Us | The Source for Space History & Artifacts
Copyright 2016 collectSPACE.com All rights reserved.
Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47a