Today (May 20, 2014), FedEx launched the FedEx Space Desk, a one-stop shop for space industry customers seeking information about shipping everything from satellites and related subsystems to biomedical materials bound for testing or use in space.
"FedEx is strongly positioned to effectively serve the space industry," said Craig Simon, president and CEO of FedEx SupplyChain. "We're a company known for more than 40 years of innovation in logistics, and our robust global network and 300,000 team members around the world will deliver space-industry packages to launch sites safely and efficiently."
The Space Desk is the cornerstone of FedEx Space Solutions, a turn-key shipping solution designed to provide logistics support for companies and organizations shipping space-bound satellites, technology and other space assets. The key components offered by that the FedEx Space Desk include:
- Trained Space Experts – The Space Desk team of specialists was trained by Space Tango, a well-respected expert in the space industry. FedEx specialists are trained to understand the specific needs of the space industry.
- Single Point of Contact – The FedEx Space Desk will be a one-stop shop for every space industry shipper and will handle any possible issue that can arise with a space industry shipment – track, trace, re-route, expedite, notification, customs clearance, etc,
- Proactive Tracking and Tracing –The FedEx Space Desk will offer proactive tracking and tracing of all space shipments.
- Customs Guidance –The Space Desk will help space customers navigate international customs clearance issues for space industry shipments.
- Heavyweight Recovery – If there are unforeseen delays in the planned routing of a shipment, the specialists at the Space Desk have the ability to halt a shipment in transit and transfer to a faster route.
FedEx is uniquely positioned due to its vast global network, innovative tracking systems and suite of shipping options to provide premium logistics support to the growing space industry. In addition to space-specific offerings outlined above, space customers will continue to have access to a suite of services that will help ensure safe journeys for space assets:
- FedEx Supply Chain offers specialized logistics through a robust network of resources.
- The FedEx Packaging Lab combines expertise with state-of-the-art equipment to help customers design and test packaging that will protect their critical shipments under real-world conditions.
- SenseAware, powered by FedEx, can track a shipment's location around the world in near real-time, and also monitor environmental factors such as temperature, humidity, barometric pressure or exposure to light.
By leveraging the global transportation capabilities and innovative leadership of FedEx with the knowledge and space heritage of Space Tango, FedEx strives to advance the commercial utilization of space by providing reliable terrestrial transport of satellites, biomedical experiments and related space assets.
The commercial space industry represents a growth opportunity for FedEx, as both small businesses and international players enter the industry. With its worldwide presence, FedEx has the potential to offer the space industry unparalleled access to critical resources around the globe.