uniphi space agency is Proud to Announce the Fourth Annual National Astronaut Day
Celebrates Heroic Astronauts with Mission to Inspire All to "RISE - Read, Inspire, Share and Explore" and Honors Apollo's 50th Anniversary
Today (April 24), uniphi space agency, a division of uniphi good LLC, is proud to announce the fourth annual National Astronaut Day, honoring Apollo's 50th Anniversary, featuring a student art Astronaut patch design contest, reading and online fundraising campaign, music collaborations to celebrate astronauts and more, all to launch on Sunday, May 5, 2019.
In keeping with the tradition of other astronaut and space related celebrations, May 5th was selected for this significant date in history in 1961 when astronaut Alan Bartlett Shepard Jr. became the first American in space, aboard the Freedom 7 space capsule. The brief suborbital flight, which lasted approximately 15 minutes and reached a height of 116 miles into the atmosphere, was a milestone achievement. This trailblazing example of heroic bravery and adventurous spirit is this essence of what National Astronaut Day is all about. This year, we also pay tribute to the astronauts of the Apollo Program, and the remarkable achievement of the Apollo 11 lunar landing that still leaves a lasting legacy 50 years later.
The 2019 National Astronaut Day campaign includes many ways to participate including;
Students in grades K through 12 are invited to enter the National Astronaut Day "Special Mission" astronaut patch art contest. The mission is to create an original piece of artwork that celebrates astronauts and space exploration, and a design that would look great as an astronaut "special mission" patch.
- Enter the Student Art Contest to Design a "Special Mission" Astronaut Patch
- Read a book about astronauts or space
- Inspire your family and friends to learn more about astronauts, space and the Apollo 50th Anniversary
- Share on social media a post wishing your favorite astronaut a "Happy National Astronaut Day"
- Explore and learn something new about your own universe, set a mission and go on an adventure outdoors, or check out the "at home" National Astronaut Day STEM/STEAM activities
- Download the 2019 National Astronaut Day theme song Sparkle (Astronaut Mix) by Rubyhorse
- Print the National Astronaut Day Patches and Poster
- Donate to Reading Is Fundamental
One (1) Grand Prize winner will be selected in each category (K-6) and (7-12). Winners will receive:
The first 100 Entries will receive stickers of the National Astronaut Day patches.
- Winning art will be turned into a National Astronaut Day "Special Mission" Patch (25 final embroidered patches will be sent back to winner to share with friends and family)
- A 25 Minute Skype with an astronaut (Can be used for a school class)
- An astronaut "Prize Pack" with autographed books and merchandise
Contest Begins: National Astronaut Day, May 5, 2019
Contest Ends: Friday, July 5, 2019 (5pm EST)
Winner Announced: Saturday, July 20, 2019
A panel of astronauts, artists and educators will judge the entries including; astronaut Al Worden, Apollo 15; astronaut Nicole Stott, "The Artistic Astronaut"; astronaut Leroy Chiao, "One Orbit"; Beth Balliro, art professor, MassArt; Francis French, author "Falling to Earth"; Tim Gagnon, "The Space Patch Guy."
For full contest rules and how to enter please visit NationalAstronautDay.com.
Families are encouraged to rise to the occasion and participate in any STEM/STEAM activities and read together on National Astronaut Day. A few suggested book titles may be found here, including an "Astronauts & Space" book collection page created by Reading Is Fundamental (RIF). Each title is clickable, with additional supplemental book resources.
Astronaut and space fans are also asked to donate to RIF, which believes that every child (and future astronaut) deserves the opportunity that literacy provides. RIF is the nation's largest nonprofit organization for children's literacy and has provided more than 415 million books to 50 million kids in all 50 states, inspiring generations to read, learn and grow.
This year's theme song Sparkle (2019 Astronaut Mix), by Rubyhorse, will be available for purchase on iTunes, and their astronaut inspired music video will premiere on May 5th. Astronaut and music fans should also keep an eye out for a special announcement on May 5th from astronaut Clayton Anderson and Country music star Clayton Anderson, who will be posting on their socials about an upcoming collaboration.
A continuing collaboration with Fisher Space Pen for the "Astronaut Signature Pen" Series Pens will continue to make them available for sale online, and will benefit 20 different charity partners.