Space News
space history and artifacts articles

Messages
space history discussion forums

Sightings
worldwide astronaut appearances

Resources
selected space history documents

Websites
related space history websites

  collectSPACE: Messages
  Models & Toys
  Richard Lobinske's space models, dioramas (Page 3)

Post New Topic  Post A Reply
profile | register | preferences | faq | search


This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Richard Lobinske's space models, dioramas
rlobinske
Member

Posts: 143
From: Crawfordville, FL
Registered: Oct 2014

posted 11-28-2018 10:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rlobinske     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote

postmanpat
Member

Posts: 22
From: Melbourne, Australia
Registered: Nov 2018

posted 11-29-2018 05:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for postmanpat   Click Here to Email postmanpat     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Richard, these are incredible kits!!!! Fantastic job on all of them.

rlobinske
Member

Posts: 143
From: Crawfordville, FL
Registered: Oct 2014

posted 02-24-2019 10:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rlobinske     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
1/144 Shuttle Enterprise in Approach and Landing Test configuration.

Classic Revell shuttle kit. Tried using pencil for the panel lines on this one. Mostly kit decals with a few custom cut from color decal film. The dummy SSME bells were filed and sanded smooth to match original. Window masks were made using the AXM Paper Models as a template that was white glued in place. Pitot tube made from 0.040 plastic rod.

rlobinske
Member

Posts: 143
From: Crawfordville, FL
Registered: Oct 2014

posted 05-16-2019 09:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rlobinske     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
These 100 lb thrust rockets were used for the RCS quads on the Apollo LM and SM. I picked up this 3D print from eBay at a good price, knowing that it was coarse print that needed cleanup. Overall fit was good and the cleanup went smoothly with no surprises.

Overall paint was Tamiya bare metal from a rattle can. The combustion chamber is Tamiya metallic gray. The expansion bell collar was painted Modelmaster enamel chrome silver. The bell heat stains were simulated with airbrushed Tamiya clear yellow, clear blue, clear red and smoke.

The data plates are decals printed by Michael Key applied to 0.005 sheet styrene painted with plastickote rattle can chrome.

rlobinske
Member

Posts: 143
From: Crawfordville, FL
Registered: Oct 2014

posted 06-06-2019 05:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rlobinske     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Converted from the classic Revell Vostok kit. Removed the molded details on the equipment module and built up new details with plastic stock and wire. Reconfigured the aft section of the equipment module with sheet styrene and added the forward equipment module built up from sheet styrene.

The extendable airlock is styrene and paper. The tanks at the base of the airlock are Gemini leftovers covered with tissue. The crew sphere had new portholes made and covered with hexagons of Bare Metal Foil. Antennas are from brass wire and paper clips.

The figure is the New Ware Leonov spacewalker.

rlobinske
Member

Posts: 143
From: Crawfordville, FL
Registered: Oct 2014

posted 07-30-2019 07:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rlobinske     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Tranquility Plus 50 completed. Modified a 25-year old 1/48 Monogram First Lunar Landing kit to represent what Tranquility Base may look like on the 50th anniversary.

I used salt chipping over clear overcoats to simulate the take off damage to the upper deck and simulated the pealed away thermal blankets. Added missing details like the fuel tank bump, landing radar, corrected the EASEP housing, added the MESA and replaced the plume deflectors with foil. Corrected the egress platform and ladder, added the flag holder.

On the base, corrected the TV camera, fashioned a new flag to represent it being knocked down by the Ascent Stage takeoff and bleaching of the fabric. I also added sample tools, jet bag, sample bags and discarded overboots. The kit PLSSs were modified and placed at the ladder base.

I filled in the engraved shadows and used simple shading on the base. The white painted equipment was aged with Garagekit Colors transparent chestnut, which was also used to age the flag and United Dates decals on quads I and IV.

The patch I picked up at the KSCVC gift shop.

rlobinske
Member

Posts: 143
From: Crawfordville, FL
Registered: Oct 2014

posted 08-02-2019 10:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rlobinske     Edit/Delete Message   Reply w/Quote
Modified Tamiya 1/35 M113 APC to look like the shuttle era fire rescue M113s used for fire crews and crew escape, based on photos of #1 on display at KSC.

Mostly out of box, omitting the weapons. Modified the headlights to match, added the speaker on the back and those odd boxes to the front glacis.

Tamiya rattle can yellow over light grey primer with white decal film for the stripe. Other decals printed on white film using a laser printer. The badge is from a closeup photo on #1 cleaned up and trimmed.


This topic is 3 pages long:   1  2  3 

All times are CT (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Post New Topic  Post A Reply
Hop to:

Contact Us | The Source for Space History & Artifacts

Copyright 2019 collectSPACE.com All rights reserved.


Ultimate Bulletin Board 5.47a





advertisement